Aglow Leader: Alice Tsoi
National Board President
Aglow Asia Regional Chairman.
Capital: special administrative region of China
- Pray for wisdom and integrity as China negotiates with other nations.
- Pray that the people of China prosper spiritually and economically.
- Declare great harvest and a fresh move of the Holy Spirit through the Christians of China.
- Pray for a righteous leader who is able to bring truth, justice and harmony to the people of Hong Kong.
- May honor, wisdom and integrity be the hallmark of Hong Kong’s next Chief Executive and government administration.
- Declare God’s sovereignty, majesty and supremacy on election day so that no civil unrest or lawlessness arises.
- Ephesians 5:15-17
- China as a nation will continue to prosper in her calling to bring the gospel back to Jerusalem.
- Hong Kong belongs to the Kingdom of God and is a gateway to China economically, physically and spiritually. Lift up your heads, O gates, and be lifted up, O ancient doors, that the King of glory may come in! – Psalm 24:7
Background: China’s historical civilization dates from at least 1200 B.C.; from the 3rd century B.C. and for the next two millennia, China alternated between periods of unity and disunity under a succession of imperial dynasties. In the 19th and early 20th centuries, the country was beset by civil unrest, major famines, military defeats, and foreign occupation. After World War II, the Chinese Communist Party under MAO Zedong established an autocratic socialist system that, while ensuring China’s sovereignty, imposed strict controls over everyday life and cost the lives of tens of millions of people. After 1978, MAO’s successor DENG Xiaoping and other leaders focused on market-oriented economic development and by 2000 output had quadrupled. For much of the population, living standards have improved dramatically but political controls remain tight. Since the early 1990s, China has increased its global outreach and participation in international organizations.
Government Type: communist party-led state
Population: 1,397,897,720 (July 2021 est.)
Ethnic Groups: Han Chinese 91.6%, Zhuang 1.3%, other (includes Hui, Manchu, Uighur, Miao, Yi, Tujia, Tibetan, Mongol, Dong, Buyei, Yao, Bai, Korean, Hani, Li, Kazakh, Dai, and other nationalities) 7.1% (2010 est.)
Languages: Standard Chinese or Mandarin (official; Putonghua, based on the Beijing dialect), Yue (Cantonese), Wu (Shanghainese), Minbei (Fuzhou), Minnan (Hokkien-Taiwanese), Xiang, Gan, Hakka dialects, minority languages (see Ethnic groups entry)
Religions: Buddhist 18.2%, Christian 5.1%, Muslim 1.8%, folk religion 21.9%, Hindu < 0.1%, Jewish < 0.1%, other 0.7% (includes Daoist (Taoist)), unaffiliated 52.2% (2010 est.)
Interesting Facts information from the cia.gov website. Read more about China